Followers

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chicken Soup...for my summertime cold


Ugh one of my pet peeves is having a cold in the summer. Having a cold in general blows, but when you are stuffy and sniffy in 90 degree weather, something about it just makes me automatically irritable.

So needless to say I have been a joy to hang around with this weekend (sorry honey!), so to make myself feel better I made some yummy homemade chicken soup.  You may say to yourself soup in the summer?  Well this is my secret weapon to fighting those stubborn colds! The broth acts as a decongestant and big chunks of chicken leave you feeling full. Add a little love into this dish and your or your loved ones cold will be gone in NO time!
Ingredients

Broth

2 lbs of Chicken Drumsticks (you can use a whole chicken, thighs, but I find this to be the cheapest)
Enough water to cover the chicken in a pot
2 ribs of celery
2 carrots large
1/4 of a yellow onion
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
salt and pepper

In large put place drumsticks, add water just to cover.  Put pot on burner on  high heat and right before it is about to boil add halved celery, carrots and onion. Bring up to a boil and then simmer adding the garlic powder and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Let simmer for about 1 hour.

Remove chicken and vegetables.  Remove meat off the bone and reserve.

Soup

2 lbs of chicken meat (I prefer large chunks)
1 lb of carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
5 or 6 large celery sticks cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 of yellow onion thinly sliced
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
Salt and Pepper to taste

In remaining broth add all ingredients and let simmer for 30-60 minutes. Serve with crusty bread with Cheddar cheese! Mmm...its like a warm hug in a bowl.

4 comments:

  1. Chicken soup cures all ills! I never seen one so broth-like before and I have to say that I'm intrigued as it looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a good note, your soup does look good! Hope you feel better soon and thanks for posting on our Blog Hop Recipe Swap today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum that looks good! I hate summer time colds, too. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I've learned. Chicken soup si not only for the soul, but also for the sick. Looks delicious and I feel better looking at it!

    ReplyDelete